Archive: Dec 2020
Common Applications for Stainless Steel and Nickel Alloy Pump ShaftsLeave a Comment
A pump shaft transmits motion and torque when rotated. Pump shafts can vary in shape depending on the intended pump application, but most designs are supported by stabilizer bearings and bushings. Pump shafts require an extremely high degree of precision to function properly and must be able to endure significant strain.
Pump shaft quality (PSQ) bars are stainless steel or nickel alloy bars that have been processed specifically to withstand the rigors and meet the accuracy requirements of pump applications. They are turned, ground, and polished to limit shaft wear and extend service life and resist failure, mitigating the risk of unexpected downtime.
Ultimately, PSQ bars are processed to a higher standard than conventional bars. Considerations for pump shaft quality stainless steel bars include:
- Vibration. When a shaft spins at high speeds, vibrations within the pumping equipment can cause damage. To minimize vibrations, pump shaft quality stainless steel requires exceedingly high degrees of straightness.
- Strength. Pump shafts endure heavy loads and high speeds, which put enormous stress on the material. Pump shaft quality bars must withstand heavier loads than regular stainless steel bars.
- Diamete Outer diameter tolerances for pump shaft quality steel bars adhere to extremely strict tolerance requirements. The shaft must perfectly fit the equipment for which it was designed to prevent damage to machinery and components.
- Shipping. Because of the demands placed on pump shafts and the precision engineering required to manufacture them, they must be well protected during the shipping process to maintain their precision tolerances. Various packing methods, such as cardboard tubing and wooden boxes, are used to ensure that shafts arrive at their destination in perfect condition.
Pump Shafts Quality Steel vs. Regular Stainless Steel
At Continental Steel, we offer our customers a wide selection of stainless steel or nickel alloy bars fabricated to pump shaft quality standards to meet the specifications of any application. We carry PSQ bars in a range of standard lengths and diameters, including non-standard shaft sizes.
Stainless steel and nickel alloy PSQ bars also have anti-corrosive properties that help protect the shaft when exposed to environmental factors that may affect the shaft’s operation. Resistance to acids and other corrosive factors is critical for maintaining the symmetry of the rotating pump shaft.
At Continental Steel, we offer various grades of stainless steel and manufacture pump shafts with the finish and specifications required for your unique application. Our team of experts will consult with you to determine your needs and provide a pump shaft quality stainless steel bar that can meet the demands of your application. We carry the following grades:
- UNS N05500 / Nickel Alloy 500
- UNS N08020 / Alloy 20
- UNS S17400 / 17-4 H1150
- UNS S20910 / XM-19 High Strength
- UNS S30300 / 303 BQ
- UNS S30400 / 304 BQ
- UNS S31600 / 316
- UNS S41000 / 410
- UNS S41600 / 416 Heat Treat
- 2205 Duplex
- Super Duplex 2507
Applications for Pump Shafts Quality Bars
PSQ stainless steel and nickel alloy bars are used to create critical components of machinery used in many industries.
Machinery and equipment used in the mining industry must perform and operate under extremely harsh and demanding conditions. Many mining pump applications, such as dewatering, water transfer, and water supply, operate under harsh conditions and run continuously for years. Mining pump equipment relies on pump shaft quality steel to ensure reliable operation, even under extreme conditions.
Many industrial applications require the movement of fluid from one location to another. Industrial pumps come in many shapes, sizes, and configurations and are used to pump solids, waste, process materials, debris, and chemicals in various industrial applications. It’s essential that pump components can tolerate exposure to harsh fluids and withstand the strain of extended operation.
Rotating equipment uses kinetic energy to move fluids, gases, and other process materials. Rotating equipment plays a crucial role in many industries and includes mechanical components such as gas compressors, turbines, pumps, fans, blowers, and gearboxes. PSQ bars make ideal shafts for many different types of rotating equipment.
Contact Continental Steel for Your PSQs Today
At Continental Steel, we have over 35 years of experience providing the highest quality stainless steel and nickel alloy bars for pump shaft quality applications. We’ve built a reputation as one of the world’s leading suppliers and distributors of quality metals. Working with us ensures quick responses, unsurpassed quality, competitive pricing, reliable deliveries, and an exhaustive inventory.
To learn more about our selection of stainless steel and nickel alloy pump shaft quality bars and how they can improve the function and longevity of your machinery, contact us, or request a quote today.